Skip to main content

The Truth Arrived Underneath the Door

I sleep in a Queen sized bed. It sits there like that sentence, useless really when you are single. I mean, I’m not complaining, it’s a great bed. Fabulously comfortable, a Princely bed even though it’s a Queen. The frame is a lovely wood, even though it’s from IKEA. 

My Queen bed feels like it’s taking up prime real estate in my 465 square foot apartment, which is neither Princely, Queenly and never Kingly in its prime. Jokerly is what my apartment is. Or maybe it’s more like a Voodoo-doll in terms of its disrepair, and I walk the plank. All I know is I pay a Queen’s sum and soon a King's ransom to live where I do. Jump, jump! Off with her head!


The reason I bring up my bed, is that before Y2K, you remember, WHEN THE WORLD WAS GOING TO END BECAUSE THE COMPUTERS WERE GOING TO CRASH BECAUSE THEY COULDN’T RECOGNIZE THE YEAR 2000, I had a live-in boyfriend. I shared my bed with him for several years and he body-checked me into the future. To this day, I am glued to sleeping on the very wee right side of my Queen bed. 

Maybe I'll rent out the massive space to the left of me.

The drawback of all the space on the left is that it makes me think. When I think I cannot sleep. When I cannot sleep I worry about all the people who do not have beds in the world, and I consider how much space I am wasting. I decide I have to immediately get rid of my bed in the morning and buy a twin.

This momentarily dispels my anxiety, and I can uncurl from the furtive foetal position I’ve been maintaining all night. I momentarily relax. This calm rarely lasts, when I realize if I have a twin bed, where will I have sex? Then a more ridiculous idea comes to mind. I realize if I’m unable to have sex, I can't get married. What?! I think to myself. I’ve never wanted to get married! Or, have I?

I don’t want to seem like I suffer from some kind of child-like twin bed psychosis when I meet my next partner. My interests and personality are an acquired taste, even though I’m proud of who I am. I know my eccentricities are also foibles. I recognize what I lack as an human all too well, that is why I avoid the book section titled 'Self-Improvement' and try for a little progress each day. To get it all right, I try to move on to wherever I’m going in some sort of grace. Buying I twin bed, I conclude, is neither graceful, nor in my life's plan. 


Long after losing my virginity, I still feel like I am chaste every time I start a brand new relationship. As a single woman, I feel scrutinized and unsure about my sexual identity. I don’t feel fluent, able to walk the landscape of choice between chastity, responsible experimentation, the desire for marriage, and never wanting to marry. It seems I must announce my single title, know where I’m going and announce my intentions for show and tell. The part of me who thought she was a feminist rages up and wishes I could simply announce myself as Mr. to enjoy the anonymity and power men seem to have. 


With all this worrying, I got out of bed one morning, exhausted, to fetch a small glass of juice and proceed back to bed. As I was shuffling back to my bedroom, I noticed a piece of paper tucked underneath my apartment door. It was upside down. I flipped it over. It read "The Truth." "The truth has arrived underneath my door,” I said quietly to myself. 


I tossed the paper out. The huge ego of my bed deflated, and my anxiety left the room. I felt less puffy. The inside of my apartment swirled and whooshed, draining itself of my ridiculous thoughts. I threw my head back and laughed. My truth had arrived, and I was going to be fine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Becomes Breath and Gypsy Driftwood

The joy of writing is that once it truly starts, it rolls and picks up like a powerful bowling ball. I watch it form a living, ever growing ghost of light. My ideas form intricate paths that weave like fine silk and soon my head fills with so many meanings and worlds my fingers are itching to write. I was thinking that our English expression, 'He has cobwebs in his head,' does not relate to silent mad confusion at all. I think it instead involves being in a state of having too many stories to tell, combined with the inability to spit it out. Perhaps it also involves living in a society that is more isolated, where we don't listen to each other's truths as often, or hang out to tell stories of our daily lives.  I love chatting to people about themselves as I go about my week. I meet amazing people everyday. I'd love to write a book of lives, of every individual life born, their thoughts and visions. Without an outlet like the written word, it seems to me that unhap...

To Be or Not to Write

I have been thinking about Shakespeare’s writing, "To be or not to be," in light of my writing.  Each new piece of writing starts in a state of nothingness, in the grace of not being or "not to be." It takes shape through my thought, the language of words, the beauty of sounds and the influence of meanings and logic. Slowly, my writing becomes. The decision of to be or not to be is made. Nothing is written into something.   When I was twenty-one years old, I was terrified of dying for six weeks. Death followed me everywhere. Rather than keep my fears to myself, I openly asked friends , family members, acquaintances, even strangers what they thought about their own death. In retrospect, I’m surprised people were so open and tolerant sharing their thoughts. I eventually  woke up one day and realized my fear was gone. I reasoned that since I didn't exist before I was born, and had no recollection of being in pain, the same would probably hold true after death....

Lemonspouting, Napkin Notes & War

Last night, I parked unevenly in my covered parking stall at my new apartment. I wasn’t in the habit of making this ruthless mistake. I’d only lived in my new high-rise for four months and had never parked over either yellow line: left or right, nor too close to either line.   This is where the lemonspouting came in: Number 84, as she called herself, decided to leave a napkin note on my windshield the next morning. Number 84, referred to her stall.  When I saw my mistake, I felt bad for my error. I wanted to apologize, but I was given no opportunity. The napkin note I’d received from Number 84 suggested an undercurrent of rage. Polite script with wolf’s teeth. Lemonspouting with acid dripping off the lips. Sure, she wasn't spitting lemon drops at me, but she wanted to bite. In the current climate of environmental protectionism, I understand SUV owners are really under the gun. Number 84, SUV owner, took my crooked parking as a sign of disrespect toward her larger ...