Skip to main content

To Be or Not to Write

I have been thinking about Shakespeare’s writing, "To be or not to be," in light of my writing. 

Each new piece of writing starts in a state of nothingness, in the grace of not being or "not to be." It takes shape through my thought, the language of words, the beauty of sounds and the influence of meanings and logic. Slowly, my writing becomes. The decision of to be or not to be is made. Nothing is written into something. 

When I was twenty-one years old, I was terrified of dying for six weeks. Death followed me everywhere. Rather than keep my fears to myself, I openly asked friends, family members, acquaintances, even strangers what they thought about their own death. In retrospect, I’m surprised people were so open and tolerant sharing their thoughts.

I eventually woke up one day and realized my fear was gone. I reasoned that since I didn't exist before I was born, and had no recollection of being in pain, the same would probably hold true after death. My exit out of the world would be the most mysterious part of the journey, possibly to be feared, possibly not. After death I would return to the same state of peace and grace I was in before birth. 

I am. One day, I will not be. 

This story of to be or not to be circles my life, for it consists of choices, which underline my choice to write the poem, the blog, or compose the play of my life. It takes hard work writing on a blank page. As a writer, I must constantly question if I have the courage, the being, to do it or simply slip under the sheets, cover my head, and give up.

To set the sparks of words in motion and watch them flame, that is when the writer in me knows that nothing breathes everything. Everything is written from the seed of what is not, and fanned by the writer who believes in what will be. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Becomes Breath and Gypsy Driftwood

The joy of writing is that once it truly starts, it rolls and picks up like a powerful bowling ball. I watch it form a living, ever growing ghost of light. My ideas form intricate paths that weave like fine silk and soon my head fills with so many meanings and worlds my fingers are itching to write. I was thinking that our English expression, 'He has cobwebs in his head,' does not relate to silent mad confusion at all. I think it instead involves being in a state of having too many stories to tell, combined with the inability to spit it out. Perhaps it also involves living in a society that is more isolated, where we don't listen to each other's truths as often, or hang out to tell stories of our daily lives.  I love chatting to people about themselves as I go about my week. I meet amazing people everyday. I'd love to write a book of lives, of every individual life born, their thoughts and visions. Without an outlet like the written word, it seems to me that unhap...

Lemonspouting, Napkin Notes & War

Last night, I parked unevenly in my covered parking stall at my new apartment. I wasn’t in the habit of making this ruthless mistake. I’d only lived in my new high-rise for four months and had never parked over either yellow line: left or right, nor too close to either line.   This is where the lemonspouting came in: Number 84, as she called herself, decided to leave a napkin note on my windshield the next morning. Number 84, referred to her stall.  When I saw my mistake, I felt bad for my error. I wanted to apologize, but I was given no opportunity. The napkin note I’d received from Number 84 suggested an undercurrent of rage. Polite script with wolf’s teeth. Lemonspouting with acid dripping off the lips. Sure, she wasn't spitting lemon drops at me, but she wanted to bite. In the current climate of environmental protectionism, I understand SUV owners are really under the gun. Number 84, SUV owner, took my crooked parking as a sign of disrespect toward her larger ...